Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Counterpart Workshop and Dakar Day


This past week I’ve been doing a lot of traveling for Counterpart Workshop and a trip to Dakar. Follow along with my convenient subheadings to find out more!

Counterpart Workshop
This past Monday through Wednesday, our training stage hosted a Counterpart Workshop at the training center. A counterpart is a local Senegalese person in you community that will help you to integrate into the community, help you assess the community’s needs, help you find projects to work on, and be a general resource for language learning and cultural questions. My counterpart is an awesome woman named Kadiata Bah who runs an organization who runs an organization that teaches agricultural techniques to three surrounding villages near Taredji. She is the perfect counterpart and really understands that my role in the community to be a teacher and help facilitate her work (not to hand out money or be a knight in shining armor). She already has plans to start a demonstration garden at her organization’s location in Taredji and know a lot about the agriculture of the area.

Coming into the Peace Corps with doubts about what I could possibly do to help Senegalese people improve their agriculture system when I have no real expertise or local knowledge, I have been reassured by PC Senegal’s counterpart system. I will in fact be trained in agriculture technics by the Peace Corps and will be passing them along to someone who will stay in this community and is actively working with people in her community to pass along this knowledge. After Counterpart Workshop I have been slightly reassured about the sustainability of my work in the Peace Corps. I will still have to see how exactly my relationship between my counterpart, my community, and myself unfolds, but for know I am pretty content with my function as a volunteer.

Dakar Day and the US Embassy

Yesterday, we took two 25-seater PC buses from Thies to Dakar to see the PC Senegal office, apply for Senegalese residency, and get a general sense for the city. My first impression was that Dakar is practically like any other Western city I have been too. There were malls, bowling allies, resorts, a theme park, museums, organized roads, a highway, and a new traffic signal. Compared to Nairobi (the only other major city in Africa I have been to), Dakar was much more organized from my first impressions, qualified by the fact that I only spent a few hours there.

Peace Corps Senegal’s office was made up of a three-story air-conditioned building with a marbled staircase. The offices of the Country Director, the program assistant directors, and the admin are all located here as well as the medical office. We filled out a lot of paperwork and were introduced to all the people who work at the office, which were to a great relief of mine all Senegalese nationals minus the Country Director and one of the doctors.

The most interesting part of this trip was getting to go to the Atlantic Club – a mini-resort with a swimming pool, tennis courts, etc. that PCVs get free admission to. Here, we were met by two representatives of the US Embassy to discuss the services they provide to PCVs in Senegal and safety concerns for us. After that we got to eat American style cheeseburgers, and it was wonderful. 

In terms of  logistics, I found that I will be moving to my permanent site on November 11th, so don’t send me any more mail until I have a new address or I will never get it.  Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment