Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

Pulaar du Nord and Composting

Today we were placed into language groups, and I have now started learning Pulaar du nord! Pulaar du nord is spoken in the very northern part of Senegal, which means that is where my site will be for the next two years. This area is very conservative and very Muslim. I am very excited to learn about African Muslim culture! Also, the north is mainly desert and is very hot. The food is supposed to be very good.

Yesterday, we started hands-on technical training (which for me mean Urban Agriculture). I successfully made a beautiful meter high compost pile, double-dug two garden beds, and started a small vegetable nursery with tomatos, onions, and cabbage. They also explain what Urban Ag in the Peace Corps actually means and what type of work we will be doing. I will write another post describing all of that in more detail later. But I am hearing the tam tam (drum) calling us for lunch.


2 comments:

  1. 1. So they made the choice for you after all; good thing you didn't decide on which region you would rather be in.
    2. Your compost sounds amazing!
    3. Will you tell me when you get your first in country parasite and intestinal problems? That is the part I am looking forward to most when I get to TZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't mention the awesome people in your language group!

    ReplyDelete